Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2010

YOU SIR!

I want to say, first and foremost, that I have an unhealthy obsession with Sweeney Todd.

There could be thousands of things to say about it, and I'm sure given enough time I could elaborate on each and every one of them, but most of all, I love the music. I love the morbid and romantic lyrics. I love the way they're song. I could go on and on and on about how much I love the dramatic irony of the story. It's so Shakespeare, it's so tragic, and I love all of it.

Sondheim has to be the greatest composer of all time, as well. He has the ability to weave something completely dissonant and vulgar into a melodic major. You can hear the haunting melody of some misled flute twittering around in the background of almost every song. It shouldn't fit, it doesn't fit properly as far as music's concerned, but the way he worked with it, it sounded beautiful. I tried to arrange a bit of epiphany so my high school metal band could play, ages ago, and I must say, it's something that I couldn't accomplish. The complexities of the melodies elude me. I just can't put my finger on the individual instruments, let alone arrange them for a single guitar to play.

God I love Sweeney Todd.

No comments:

 
type='text/javascript'/>